Welcome to the official web site of Dedham Youth Soccer
DYS Newsletter #6
DYS Newsletter #6 July 2018
Hello DYS Community,
The Spring season is in our rear view mirror, Summer is in full swing and I wanted to wait a few weeks to let everyone know of the latest DYS news. The board has been working hard this off-season and we are all looking forward to Fall Season. I hope everyone is getting a chance to watch some World Cup Soccer!
Congratulations to the following teams for winning your section in BAYS (travel league) this past spring season. Although winning is not everything, it is worth noting and congratulating the teams!!!
Girls 12 George Cariofiles STATE CHAMPIONS
Girls 6 Steve Berardinelli
Boys 8 George Cariofiles
Boys 5 Matt Gillis
Boys 5 Sean Costello
Boys 4 Mike Powers
Travel age players- Incoming grade 3 thru 8- DYS reviews the tryout evaluations (where appropriate), Coach evaluations, and Clinician evaluations to determine the best, most suitable competition level for each child. DYS wants the player to develop in the most suitable environment to create a positive experience while learning to enjoy the game of soccer. Team sizes are based on player count. Teams may be combined at grade level when conditions require.
Players should be contacted by July 16th .
New TRAVEL-AGE Uniforms:
DYS will proudly be wearing new uniforms this coming spring. All travel age players will need to buy a new uniform (It has been 3+ years since we changed)
See below for pictures. We have added the DYS logo to the shorts, a number on the front of the Jersey (High School and Professional teams have this as well), new style jersey, improved socks, American flag on the back of the jersey, AND an alternate Under Armour Jersey (can be used for games, tournaments, wear to school etc…)
Your coach will email you the instructions to order online (numbers are pre-assigned)
DYS is paying for all the shipping costs, so that will not be an additional charge for you.
Cost=$52 for Youth Sizes and $56 for Adult sizes.
Summer Camp Info
Dedham Coaches Soccer Clinic (week long formats in early August for ages 8 thru 18. There is also a day camp in the mornings for younger ages.
A Few up-coming Events and Notes:
REGISTRATION for FALL SEASON- Deadline is August 1st for the Town Program and Little Kickers.
The Spring season is coming to the final few weeks and I have been very proud of the volunteers who have helped make it possible, the players who are having fun, and the coaches for their commitment to their teams and DYS.
DYS Night at the REVS on May 12th (REVS won 3-2 over defending champs Toronto FC)
185 players and family members attended (even in the rain)
11 DYS 5th and 6th graders were part of the “DREAM TEAM”, where they got to walk on the field with a player and stay on for the national anthem. What a great experience.
15 DYS players got to watch warm ups from the field level and attend the Rally tunnel event.
Tryouts were a Success
Incoming 3rd, 5th, 6/7th grades participated in Tryouts in Mid-May. It was very organized and helpful in the process for choosing the appropriate playing levels for our children in the fall.
The New England Revolution Academy ran the tryouts independent of DYS
Summer Camp Info
DYS Website has a few camps and summer tournaments listed on the website. Work on those skills this summer and have lots of fun
Highly recommended: **Dedham Coaches Clinic (week long formats in early August) and Compete Indoor (1X a week format) are the two highlighted camps**see attached**
A Few up-coming Events and Notes:
· REGISTRATION for FALL SEASON- Travel Deadline is June 20th; Town Program and Little Kickers Deadline is August 1st.
· Team placements - Should be out by early July. DYS reviews the tryout evaluations (where appropriate), Coach evaluations, and Clinician evaluations to determine the best, most suitable competition level for each child. DYS wants the player to develop in the most suitable environment to create a positive experience while learning to enjoy the game of soccer. Team sizes are based on player count. Teams may be combined at grade level when conditions require.
· Reminder for all players to continue to bring a soccer ball to practice, Wear shin guards (under the socks) and bring a drink (especially with the warmer weather). See “environmental conditions” tab on DYS website for guidance on inclement weather protocols
· DYS Picnic- ENTIRE DYS FAMILY is invited on Sunday, June 10th from 9am until 3pm
Welcome to the Dedham Coaches Soccer Clinic where your son/daughter will learn the game of soccer from some of the top high school coaches in Eastern Massachusetts.
All phases of the game will be covered with a particular emphasis placed on fundamentals. Each player will play in a least one scrimmage per day.
The daily schedule will run from 5:30pm–8pm, Monday through Friday. In case of a rainout, a make up date will be offered whenever possible. CAMP DIRECTOR
Sal Ledda– Dedham High School Varsity Soccer Coach, Former President DYS, USSF C License, Founder of Dedham Coaches Soccer Clinic STAFF
The Soccer Clinic will feature a professional, caring staff. Each member of the Soccer staff is committed to providing each player with a safe, enjoyable soccer experience while learning the fundamentals of the game. Our entire staff is dedicated to teaching the values of teamwork, sportsmanship, and working to instill self- confidence in each and every player.
John Finn– Catholic Memorial School Varsity Soccer Coach, Vice President DYS, USSF D License, NSCAA National License
Don Savi- Dedham High School Girls Varsity Soccer Coach
Shaun McBrien -Sport’s Coaching Degree, University of Ulster, Northern Island; Academy Director for Crusader’s United, U-11 & U-13; Regional Director, Paul Turner’s Ultimate Soccer; Newton DOC Tuition And Registration ***10% discount if a team of 10 or more registers together***
$135 Per Player 1 Week
$190 Per Player 2 Weeks Non Dedham Residents
$150 Per Player 1 Week
$200 Per Player 2 Weeks Please make checks payable to: Dedham Summer Soccer Camp Mail payment and application to:
c/o Dedham Summer Soccer Camp 15 Coach Lane
Dedham, MA 02026 Please register by 7/21/18. Last year’s clinic was a great success!
For further information, please call 617-281-0542.
• Clinic check-in on the first daybegins at 5 PM. All players must beaccompanied by a parent orguardian.
•Each player must have aregistration form and a signed waiveron file.
•All players should wear cleats, shinpads, and bring a ball, water, and bugspray.
• Frequent breaks for drinks will beprovided.
• Please put the player’s name on anyitem that they bring to the clinic.
• If there is inclement weather,attempts will be made to makeupsession.
SOCCER CAMP 2018
Coed Soccer Camp Ages 8-18 Memorial Park Dedham, MA
It has been a month since my last email and the season has finally started!I have been to many of the town and travel games in Dedham, and it is great to see all the hard work from the DYS Board, Coaches, Parents, and Players coming to life.I have a few reminders and upcoming events for everyone to mark on their calendars:
Incoming Grade 3-8 -June 20, 2018, June 21 late fee begins
All Town Programs -August 1st, 2018, August 2nd late fee begins
·Zero Tolerance:All Town and Travel parents and coaches.I am going to be blunt.. DO NOT TALK TO THE REFEREES AS A COACH OR AS A FAN DURING OR AFTER THE GAME UNLESS IT IS POSITIVE.We always want to show a positive environment for our players, the referees, and opposing teams.
·Show your support for DYS!Within the next week or so, you should be getting a free DYS car magnet for you and stickers for the players.
·Gonzalez (and all Parks and Rec) fields- NO dogs, no benches on fields.
·Travel age teams should see new goalie gloves and a DYS goalie jersey…
·We are working on Summer Camps for all the kids to keep up and improve their soccer skills.Look for more details in the next few weeks.
·Cleat Swap-We are still collecting cleats, balls, soccer equipment in a bin at Riverdale during Town games.
·New Uniforms- the board is currently working on possibly changing uniforms for the fall.More to come…
·Tryouts/Evaluations for incoming Fall 3rd, 5th (new), 7th/8th (combined) grades.
SAVE THE DATE: May 14, 15, 17th see the DYS website for more details.*you must be registered for fall in order to take part in the tryout/evaluation
·DYS night at the Revs- Saturday, May 12th @7:30.Fill out the order form and give to your coaches to order tickets.Checks made out to Dedham Youth Soccer.Tailgate sponsored by DYS before the game if we get 200+ people.
·DYS town-wide end of year picnic at Nobles- Sunday, June 10th
·Fall- DYS night supporting the Varsity teams
·Flag Day Parade- who would like to walk with the DYS group?
As President for the Dedham Youth Soccer Association, I am truly honored to work with the exceptional individuals on our Board and further with all of you that value the time and dedication of our *all-volunteer* organization. We will all work hard to enhance the soccer experience for you and your child and to meet your expectations. Over the next weeks and year, the DYS board will work to respond to the ever-changing needs of the soccer community. DYS is now representing between 750-800 children in Dedham! Some things that we have been working on:
As of this Wednesday, March 28th, all parents should have had communication with their coach, including the Little Kickers program (except High School grade teams-which have a later start date). If you have not heard anything, please contact me at
Practices- Mother Nature has not been cooperating, but we are hopeful, but cannot guarantee that practices will start the week of April 2nd. A few travel teams will start this week on Gozalez Field. The coaching staff should let you know where/when you are practicing.
This year we have invested heavily in our training program by hiring two professional coaches from England to help our volunteer coaches and players develop their skills and have fun. Each team from Little Kickers thru 8th grade will get one session per week with a pro coach in a grade and gender format. ie: all 3rd grade boys will practice together, all 6th grade girls will practice together.
Cleat/Equipment swap- April 7th Gonzalez field 10am to 12pm. More details on the web
Town Referee meeting: April 5th 6:30-8pmEndicott estate for returning refs only. Fall season will be accepting new referees
Tryouts/Evaluations for incoming Fall 3rd, 5th (new), 7th/8th (combined) dates have been set. SAVE THE DATE: May 14, 15, 17th see the DYS website for more details. *you must be registered for fall in order to take part in the tryout/evaluation
DYS night at the Revs- Saturday, May 12th @7:30. See your coaches to order tickets and more details on the web. Tailgate sponsored by DYS before the game if we get 200+ people.
DYS townwide end of year picnic at Nobles- Sunday, June 10th
Fall- DYS night supporting the Varsity teams
New Uniforms- the board is currently working on possibly changing uniforms for the fall. More to come…
I am looking forward to getting to know more of you, and your interests and concerns in the coming year. I would appreciate hearing from you and encourage you to reach out to me or speaking with me at one of our regularly scheduled board meetings or on the fields.
I wanted to update everyone on what is happening during the off-season at DYS.
1. Training- We have started a new Winter Clinic at Compete Indoor in Norwood. This is a state of the art Turf field that will help our children progress their soccer skills during the off season. These clinics will be run by professional coaches with a vast background in teaching soccer. If you have not signed up yet, I encourage you to do so before the second session is filled. They will be held on Saturdays 5pm to 6:30PM starting on February 24th (more information at www.Dedhamsoccer.com )
2. Professional Coaching- DYS has hired 2 professional coaches from Challenger Sports to help with our training program this Spring. We are very excited to launch this new initiative to step up our level of play and have our children AND coaches learn from these new coaches. One coach will be devoted to our Little Kickers thru 2nd grade town program and the second coach will work with our 3rd thru 6th grade travel program. We will also be hosting special sessions for grades 7 thru 8 and older.
3. Winter – Indoor teams. We had 3 teams participate in indoor leagues in Canton, MA with great results. Next year, we are looking to add even more teams.
4. Travel Teams update: We have met with the Travel coaches about the registrations for the Spring season and discussed the team formations. This was a complete group effort with all involved and decisions were made together for the best interest of all the children. Teams will be announced by the coaches on Wednesday, February 28th for all teams EXCEPT 8th Grade boys as we are still working on finalizing rosters/coaches. If you have not heard from your coach (and are registered) within a few days of this date, please let me know.
5. Fun Activities: Revs night is fast approaching. Mark your calendars NOW…Dedham Youth Soccer “Night at the Revs” will be Saturday, May 12th at 7:30PM vs the defending champions Toronto FC (featuring Michael Bradley and Jozy Altidore). The coaches will be taking orders for tickets as soon as practices start. If we get to 200 tickets sold, DYS will help sponsor a family friendly tailgate before the game.
6. Town update- the deadline to register is March 1st. Please visit the DYS website to register. The end of year picnic is starting to take shape for Nobles. More details to follow. We are hoping to have more sponsors, booths, activities than ever before. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
7. DYS Board- 10 members of the board attended an all day Workshop sponsored by the Massachusetts Youth Soccer Association. Topics ranged from referee training, Positive coaching, development of US Soccer and more. It was a positive learning experience for the members in attendance.
8. Coaches-Thank you for volunteering! Your division directors will be reaching out to you soon about the spring season. Coaches meetings will be held on Thursday, March 15th, from 6-9pm, more info to follow.
As always, please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions, comments, concerns both positive and negative.
My name is Paul Yandrisevits and I was recently elected and am honored to serve as the new Dedham Youth Soccer (DYS) President in 2018. I wanted to introduce myself to everyone and give my personal thanks and sincere appreciation to George Cariofiles, our Immediate Past President for his leadership the past few years. In addition, congratulations are in order for the newly elected board members. Please get to know them – it is this team that will help make the organization a success. I’d also like to thank our sponsors for their support. We are grateful that their contributions allow us to provide excellent programs, equipment, and venues for our professional development.
My hope for the year is that you, as parents and family members, gain as much value in the program as I do. DYS is committed to the objectives set forth “to provide the youth of Dedham, MA the opportunity to participate in recreational and competitive soccer leagues by teaching and demonstrating soccer skills, sportsmanship, respect, and fair play. To provide a safe environment where our youth not only can excel in their soccer skills but also learn the importance of physical fitness, teamwork, determination, persistence, and hard work”.
There is no better time to get involved with the DYS community and connect with other families in our great town. Take advantage of volunteer opportunities that arise or by coaching a team. I have several new initiatives with the development of our coaches, and players that will be implemented in the coming weeks. Our committees are planning new professional training sessions, fun team events, and family gatherings. I am truly excited for what is in store for 2018.
I will periodically be updating everyone via emails, website, and FB with our progress and welcome your thoughts, suggestions, and input on how to strengthen our program. Please feel free to email me directly at
On behalf of the Board, thank you for making DYS what it is and thank you for all the coach and parent volunteers. We look forward to a year of excellence.